Dr Zhigang Wang
obtained his B.Sc. degree (electronic engineering, ranking first) and M.Sc. degree (biomedical engineering and instrumentation), both from Chongqing University (China), and PhD in biomedical engineering from Dundee University (UK). He was subsequently a lecturer and an associate professor at Chongqing University, a visiting scholar at King’s College, University of London, and a research fellow, senior research scientist with the University of Dundee. He is now a senior research scientist and lead electronic engineer in the Surgical Technology Group, the Institute of Medical Science and Technology (IMSaT) at the University of Dundee. His research expertise is medical instrumentation & mechatronics, and his current research activities include minimal invasive surgical technology and non-invasive medical technology, nanotechnology in biomedicine. He has more than 50 research and invention publications with more than 20 research articles in peer-reviewed journals and 6 international patents in medical devices, and further 4 patent pending in magnetic resonance method for cellular imaging, apparatus for in vivo non-invasive cell detection, miniature robot for minimal access surgery, and novel radiofrequency thermal ablation of tumors for minimal invasive surgery. Dr Wang is a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and has been selected in Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 2010 Edition.
Senior Member, IEEE - The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, USA
Research Grants and Awards
2010 – 2011
PI, NIHR CCF i4i (Invention for Innovation) grant for design and evaluation of a novel radiofrequency ablation probe for efficient in-situ solid cancer treatment
2009 – 2013
Co-investigator, EPSRC grant entitled "Biomagnetic retraction for endoscopic surgery"
2005 – 2008
Co-investigator, SPUR award (Scottish Enterprise) and the University’s Challenge Fund (Scotland) for Novel Hearing Implant (resulted in a spin-out company).
2003 – 2004
Co-investigator, Proof of Concept award (Scottish Enterprise), UK for Novel Hearing Implant.
2001 – 2003
Co-investigator, NSFC (Natural Science Foundation of China) grant for A Study on a Noninvasive Method for Measuring and Evaluating Cardiac Contractility and Cardiac Reserve (with Chongqing University).
1995 – 1998
Principal Investigator (PI), Youth Fund of Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) for Research on Distributed Transducer Technology.
1996 - 1997
"Outstanding Academic Achievement – excellent teacher", Chongqing University, China
1993 – 1995
PI, Scholar Fund, Education Ministry of China, for Gait Analysis.
1997 – 1998
PI, Industry-funded (Chongqing Taik Co. China) project for Development of Ultrasound Therapy System, Visual Field Analyser.
1991 – 1992
Overseas Visiting Scholarship, Chinese Government, China.
1979 – 1983
Excellent Academic Studies Achievements, Chongqing University, China.
Teaching and Supervising
2005 – present
Taught courses: MSc in Biomedical Engineering, MSc Design for Medical Technologies, University of Dundee, UK
1994 – 1998
Taught BSc courses: Case Studies in Medical Instrument Design, Biomedical Transducers, Biomedical Instrumentation, Digital Electronics, Chongqing University, China
Student supervision: 2 PhDs, 10 MSc students (thesis) and 20 BSc students (final year project).
Magnetic Resonance Method and Device, GB 0820299.6, Filing Date: 6 November 2008
Apparatus and Method for the Detection of Cells, GB 0820300.2, Filing Date: 6 November 2008
Hearing implant, US Patent US7289639, 2007-10-30
Hearing implant, European Patent EP1845919, 2007-10-24
Rectal Expander, US Patent US20070276189, Pub. Date: Nov. 29, 2007
Rectal Expander, Patent number: WO2005000111, Publication date: 2005-01-06
Hearing Aid, US Patent US20050163333, Pub. Date: Jul. 28, 2005
Hearing Aid, Patent number: WO03063542; Publication date: 2003-07-31
Actuator, UK filing, GB0500616.8
Photodetector Assembly, UK filing, GB0500605.1
Patents under application
Novel Radiofrequency Ablation probes/devices for in-situ solid cancer treatment
Nature-inspired mini-robot for minimal access surgery
Publications - Refereed Journals
- Zhigang Wang, et al. A Micro-Power Miniature Piezoelectric Actuator for Implantable Middle Ear Hearing Device. Submitted to IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 2010 (under second minor revision)
- Dun Liu, Lijun Wang, Zhigang Wang, and Alfred Cuschieri. Immune cells are more susceptible to damage by polymer coated multi-walled carbon nanotubes than epithelial tumour cells: an in-vitro study, Submitted to Nanotoxicology. 2010 (under revision)
- Yinping Zhuang, Wensheng Hou, Zhigang Wang, et al. Design of an Electronic Capsule for Time Controlled Drug Delivery in Alimentary Canal, June 2010, Submitted to Int. J. Biomedical Engineering and Technology.
- Zheng Xiaolin, Hu Nan, Luo Hongyan, Hou Wensheng, Zhigang Wang (2010), A medical segmentation method based on Active Shape Model (ASM) and Active Contour Model (ACM), Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument (accepted for publication)
- Hongyan Luo, Eric Abel, Alan Slade, Zhigang Wang, Robert Steele. Design of SMA Actuator Based Access Device for Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery. The Open Medical Devices Journal. 2010, Volume 2. pp.42-48 (7).
- Lijun Wang, Zhigang Wang, Tim Frank, Stuart Brown, Sandy Chudek, and Alfred Cuschieri. (2009) Rapid and efficient cell labeling with SPION MRI contrast agent by electroporation in the presence of protamine sulphate. Nanomedicine. 4(3) 305-315.
- Wang ZG, Wang L, Frank TG, Brown SI, Cuschieri A. (2008) Ferromagnetisation of target tissues by injection of magnetic fluid: formulation and evidence of efficacy for magnetic retraction. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. [Epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.1109/TBME.2008.2009542
- Wang ZG, Wang L, Tang B, Frank TG, Brown SI, Cuschieri A. (2008) Retraction by surface ferromagnetisation of target tissues: preliminary studies on feasibility of magnetic retraction for endoscopic surgery. Surgical Endoscopy 22, 1838-1844
- Wang ZG, Wang L, Frank TG, Brown SI, Cuschieri A. (2007) Surgical applications of tissue magnetization. Minimally Invasive Therapy & Allied Technologies, 16 (5)
- Wang ZG, Yang L, Yang D, Yin ZY and Zhou Q (2007), LED Luminance Measurement and Development of a Low-cost Computerized Perimetry. Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument, 28(12): 138-2141
- Shouzhong Xiao, Zhigang Wang, Dayi Hu. (2002) Studying Cardiac Contractility Change Trend to Evaluate Cardiac Reserve, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magzine, pp. 74-76
- ZG Wang, E.W. Abel, R.P. Mills and Y. Liu (2002), Assessment of Multi-layer Piezoelectric Actuator Technology for Middle-Ear Implants, Mechatronics 12 (1) (2002) pp. 3-17
- Richard M. Lord, Eric W. Abel, Zhigang Wang, Robert Mills. (2001) Effects of draining cochlear fluids on stapes displacement in human middle-ear models, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 110, No. 6, pp. 3132–3139
- RP Mills, ZG Wang, EW Abel, (2001) In vitro study of a multi-layer piezoelectric crystal attic hearing implant, The Journal of Laryngology & Otology 115: 359 – 362
- Z Wang, R Mills, E Abel and Y Liu, (2000) A Comparison of Stapes Vibration Spectra in Acoustic-eardrum Stimulation and Actuator-incus Excitation, British Journal of Audiology, Volume 34.2, p119
- E.W. Abel, Z.G. Wang, R.P. Mills and Y. Liu, (2000) Audio-frequency characteristics of multilayer piezoelectric crystal actuator for use in hearing implant, Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp 494- 495
- Z.G. Wang, E.W. Abel, Y. Liu and D. Yang, (1999) Development of a Low-cost Automated Computerized Perimetry, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Volume 37, Supplement 2, pp 678- 679
- Z.G. Wang, E.W. Abel, R.P. Mills and Y. Liu, (1999) Development and Preliminary Evaluation of a Multi-layer Piezoelectric Hearing Implant, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Volume 37, Supplement 2, pp 1390-1391
- Wang ZG, Peng CL, Zheng XL, Wang P and Wang GR, (1997) Force Measurement on Fracture Site with External Fixation, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 35:3, 289-90
- Zheng XL, Wang ZG, Wu N and Xiao L, (1997) Wavelet Method for Suppressing Respiratory Base-line Drift of Cardioimpedancegraph, Journal of Chongqing University (Natural Science Edition), Vol.20, No.5
- Peng CL, Wang ZG, Zheng XL, Wang P and Yuan Q, (1996) Automatic Classification of ECG Using Artificial Neural Networks, Chinese Journal of Biomedical Engineering (English Edition), Vol.5 No.3, 135-138
- Wang ZG, Zheng XL, Peng CL, (1995) A New Method to Calculate Logarithmic Damping Factor in Damped Oscillation Type Rheometer, Biorheology, Vol.32, No 2, pp.246-246
- Cheng XY, Wang ZG, (1995) Study of the Microcirculation in Nail Folds of Lower Extremities in Traumatic Paraplegic Patients, Biorheology, Vol.32, No 2, pp. 348-349
- Wang ZG, et al, (1995) Stress Distribution Measurement and Its Application in Biomedical Engineering, Chinese Journal of Measurement Technology, No.8
- Zhang K, Zheng XL, Wang ZG, (1995) FDTD Method for Analysis of Electromagnetic Field Distribution Induced by Pulsed Magnetic Field, Chinese Journal of Medical Biomechanics, Vol.10
- Zheng XL, Wu HW, Wang ZG, et al, (1995) Pulsed Magnetic Stimulation for Animal Heart, Chinese Journal of Medical Biomechanics, Vol.10
Publications - International conference presentations and refereed proceedings
- Z Wang, A W Brown, S I Brown, D Liu, L Wang, A Cuschieri. (Abstract) INTRA-LUMINAL INJECTION OF FERROMAGNETIC GLUE-BASED MEDIA FOR BOWEL RETRACTION IN LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY. the 12th World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery (the Emerging Technology Session), April 14-17, 2010 in National Harbor, MD, USA. (Abstract accepted for oral presentation)
- Zhigang Wang, Andrew W Brown, Stuart I Brown, Lijun Wang, Pascal Andre, Gordon J Florence, Alfred Cuschieri. Intra-luminal Injection of Ferro-fluid for Magnetic Bowel Retraction in Minimal Access Surgery. The 6th IEEE/ASME International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA10). Qingdao, China, July 15-17, 2010 (full paper accepted for oral presentation)
- Dun Liu, Zhigang Wang, Lijun Wang and Alfred Cuschieri. FEM Analysis of Carbon Nanotube Induced Cell Poration Under Electric Field. The 3rd International Conference on BioMedical Engineering and Informatics (BMEI 2010) and the 3rd International Congress on Image and Signal Processing (CISP 2010), 16 to 18 October 2010, Yantai, China (full paper accepted)
- Wang Z, Wang L, Brown S, Cuschieri A. (2009) A novel multi-functional probe for thermal ablation of tumour. World Conference on Interventional Oncology, 25-28 June, Beijing, pp182-183
- Wang L, Wang Z, et al. (2008) Intracellular loading of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles, the 20th International Conference of Society for Medical Innovation and Technology, Vienna, Austria
- Wang Z, Wang L, Tang B, Brown S, Cuschieri A. (2008) Subsurface tissue magnetisation for mucosal dissection. the Scientific Session of the Annual Conference of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, USA and awarded ‘Poster of Distinction’
- Wang ZG, Wang L, Tang B, Frank TG, Brown SI, Cuschieri A. (2007) "Surgical Procedures assisted by tissue ferromagnetisation – surface magnetic retraction for mucosal dissection". the 15th International Congress of the European Association for Endoscopic Surgery (EAES), Athens
- Qi Zhou and Zhigang Wang (2006) A DC-servo baseline restorer and its implementation in biomedical instrumentation. Proceedings of SPIE, Vol 6040. doi: 10.1117/12.664226
- Wang Z, Abel E, Mills R. (2005) Preliminary assessment of remote photoelectric excitation of an actuator for a hearing implant. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 6:6233-4
- Wang Z, Hewit J, Abel E, Slade A, Steele B. (2005) Development of A Shape Memory Alloy Actuator for Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2005;4:4341-4
- Luo H, Abel EW, Wang Z, Slade A (2004). Modelling and Adaptive Control of SMA Actuator, Mechatronics.
- H.luo, E.Abel, J.Hewit, R.J.C.Steele, A.Slade and Z.Wang (2003) Development of a Two-way Shape Memory Actuator for Transanal Endoscopic Surgery, Proceedings of the Twelfth IASTED International Conference on Applied Simulation and Modelling, Spain, p.573-577
- Hongyan Luo, Eric Abel, Jim Hewit, Mark Pridham, Bob Steele, Zhigang Wang, Alan Slade, (2002) Issues concerning the Measurement of Transformation Temperatures in NiTi Alloys, Proc. SPIE: Smart Materials II, Australia, Vol.4934, p.226-233
- Hongyan Luo and Zhigang Wang. (2000) Algorithms Development for Systolic Time Intervals and Clinical Assessment of Cardiac Function. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Chicago, USA, Vol. 2., pp. 966-969
- Abel EW, Wang ZG, Mills RP and Liu Y. (2000) Performance and power consumption of the multi-layer piezoelectric actuator for use in middle ear implants. the 3rd International Symposium on Electronic Implants in Otology and Conventional Hearing Aids, Birmingham, UK, Final Programme and Abstract Book, pp67-68
- Mills RP, Wang ZG, Abel EW, and Liu Y. (2000) An in vitro study of a multi-layer piezoelectric crystal actuator for use in middle ear implants. the 3rd International Symposium on Electronic Implants in Otology and Conventional Hearing Aids, Birmingham, UK, Final Programme and Abstract Book, p68.
- E Abel, Y Liu, R Mills and Z Wang. (1999) A Middle Ear Piezoelectric Actuator – In-Vitro Evaluation. Proceedings of the First Joint BMES and IEEE/EMBS Conference, Atlanta, USA, Vol. 1, p489
- Eric Abel, Ying Liu, Robert Mills and Zhigang Wang, (1999) Preliminary Engineering Evaluation of a Piezoelectric Multi-layer Actuator for a Middle Ear Implant, Proceedings of the 11th Nordic-Baltic Conference on Biomedical Engineering, Tallinn, Estonia.
- Zhou P and Wang ZG, (1998) A Computer Location Algorithm for ECG, PCG and CAP, Proceedings of 20th Ann. Conf. of IEEE/EMBS, Hong Kong, Vol.1, pp. 220-222
- Luo HY and Wang ZG, (1998) Automatic Analysis of the High-Frequency Electrocardiogram, Proceedings of 20th Ann. Conf. of IEEE/EMBS, Hong Kong, Vol. 1, pp. 214-215
- Hou, W.S., Wang, Z.G., Peng, C.L. (1998) The application of an improved zero-crossing-detection method in ultrasonic measurement. Proceedings of the IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, USA, Vol. 1, pp. 566-567
- Wang, Z.G., Yin, Z.Y., Zheng, X.L., (1998) A microprocessor-based multi-functional therapeutic device for treatment of patients with cerebrovascular diseases, Proceedings of the IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, USA, Vol. 1, pp. 239-242
- Wang ZG, et al, (1995) Signal Measurement for Transducer Made by Magnetostrictive Delay Lines, Proceeding of Chinese Biomedical Engineering Conference, Beijing, China
- Wang ZG, (1995) New Distributed Sensing Technology and Its Application, Proceeding of 1st National Youth Conference of Chinese Electronics Society, Xi’an, China
- Wang Z., Zhang Y., Zheng E., (1988) Resistivity Measurement of Biological Fluids, Proceedings of 10th Ann. Conf. of IEEE/EMBS, New Orleans, USA, Vol. 3, p1290
- Wang Z.G., (1987) Bioelectrical Impedance Meter at Multi-frequencies, Proceedings of 2nd National Youth Conference for Biomedical Engineering, Nanjing, China
- Wang Z.G., Zheng E.X., (1986) Impedance Measurement of Smooth Muscle and Its Application, Proceedings of 8th Ann. Conf. Of IEEE/EMBS, Dallas, USA
- Zheng E.X., Wang Z.G., (1985) Impedance Measurement of Skeletal Muscle from 1Hz to 1 MHz, Proceedings of 7th Ann. Conf. of IEEE/EMBS, Chicago, USA
Publications - Books Chapters
- Wang ZG, Smart materials in sensors technology, in "Transducer Technology" Ed. Peng CL and Zheng XL, The higher education press, Beijing, China, 2000
- Richard M. Lord, Eric W. Abel, Zhigang Wang, Robert Mills, Methodology for laser vibrometer studies of stapes footplate displacement. In "The Mechanics and Acoustics of Normal and Diseased Middle Ears". Eds. Rosowski JJ and Merchant SM. Kugler, Amsterdam, Holland, 1999